By: Bob Meyer
Twenty-one people were awarded the distinction of a Master Meat Crafter last Friday. This second graduating class of the Master Meat Crafter Program completed the two and half year program by giving individual presentations and participating in a graduation ceremony in Madison.
The Master Meat Crafter Program allows participants to build on their experiences in meat science and processing through a comprehensive curriculum of a plant research project, workshops and assignments. Topics included food safety, microbiology and meat curing. Each Master Meat Crafter also completed a mentorship component, sharing what they gained with an employee or another individual.
This one-of-a-kind program allows graduates to earn the accreditation of a Master Meat Crafter. A seal of distinction can now be used by the program graduates on their product labels as a symbol of their unique skills and extensive knowledge.
Graduates of the Master Meat Crafter Program include:
- Jamie Cline, Rhinelander – T.A. Solberg Company
- Jennifer Dierkes, Clear Lake (Minnesota) – McDonald’s Meats, Inc.
- Mike Flanigan, Clayton – Northwoods Locker LLC
- John Franseen, Marshfield – Hewitt Meat Processing Inc.
- Mark Hanni, Iron Ridge – PS Seasonings and Spices
- Thomas Heise, Marathon – Custom Meats of Marathon, Inc.
- Nathan Jorgensen, Antigo – Peroutka’s Meat Processing
- Gidget Joyal, Sheboygan Falls – Johnsonville Sausage LLC
- Ralph Krawczyk, St. Francis – Wixon, Inc.
- Kurtis Lam, Oconomowoc – Fox Bros. Piggly Wiggly
- David Mauer, Mauston – Wisconsin River Meats
- Louis Muench, Cumberland – Louie’s Finer Meats, Inc.
- William Muench, Cumberland – Louie’s Finer Meats, Inc.
- Chad Nolechek, Thorp – Nolechek’s Meats
- Andrew Pearson, West Ashland – Sixth Street Market
- Bradley Pearson, Lodi – Lodi Sausage Co.
- Terrance Prem, Spring Green – Prem Meats
- Anthony Reams, Hudson – RJ’s Meats and Groceries
- Joel Reck, Stevens Point – Ski’s Meat Market
- Philip Schmidt, Greenville – The Meat Block LLC
- Anton Washa, Foley (Minnesota) – Foley Locker
The Master Meat Crafter Program has been developed in conjunction with the Specialty Meat Development Center and is supported by DATCP, University of Wisconsin Meat Science Extension, University of Wisconsin and the Wisconsin Association of Meat Processors.
© Copyright 2014 Brownfield, All rights Reserved. Written For: Brownfield